If you love your job and consume as much coffee as I do, you know it takes a while to wind down form a work day. And after especially invigorating days of photo shoots, shopping, and networking; even my orange tabby and a strong margarita can’t cool my full speed enthusiasm. Yesterday was one of those days. So I headed to one of my many favorite local coffee spots and plopped down with a not-so-decaf latte and my business bible, Sophia Amorusso’s best-seller, #GirlBoss. As I dove into the pages for an always needed serving of no-nonsense inspiration, the cafe patron next to me made a quick comment on my reading choice.
“This girl boss fad is just another way for a big company to make money.”
I asked if they had read the book, and their answer did not surprise me. Unfortunately my reply wasn’t memorable, nor very eloquent. Something between a sharp “EXcuuuse me” and a deep blush. A business woman published her success story, of course there are dollar signs attached, my friend. But there are also some great pieces of advice, plenty of good laughs, and a resonating attitude that invites you into the life of the hustle. If you haven’t found some already, here are some of my faves.
- “Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”
- “Opinions are like assholes– everyone’s got one.”
- “You don’t get taken seriously by asking someone to take you seriously. You’ve got to show up and own it. If this is a man’s world, who cares? I’m still really glad to be a girl in it.”
- “Money looks better in the bank than on your feet.”
- “It’s cool to be kind. It’s cool to be weird. It’s cool to be honest and to be secure with yourself.”
- “Clothing is ultimately the suit of armor in which we face the world.”
- “The energy you’ll expend focusing on someone else’s life is better spent working on your own. Just be your own idol.”
- “Bad bitches are taking over the world.”
- “Each time you make a good decision or do something nice or take care of yourself; each time you show up to work and work hard and do your best at everything you can do, you’re planting seeds for a life that you can only hope will grow beyond your wildest dreams. Take care of the little things—even the little things that you hate—and treat them as promises to your own future. Soon you’ll see that fortune favors the bold who get shit done.”
- “Remember: Don’t ever grow up. Don’t become a bore. Don’t ever let the Man get to you.”