It’s that special time of year that drains your energy and burns your skin in just the two hours it takes to reach ninety degrees every day. But as the old saying goes, Netflix and AC do not summer memories make. There are days to sloth around in sweats and binge watch New Girl, and they’re called Winter. So slap on some SPF and follow our resolutions for a summer your soul and suntan will thank you for.
- Take a photo every day. It may sound silly, but documenting your day will make you a lot more motivated to do something worth documenting. Try it, your Instagram and your summer will thank you for it.
- Get wet. Whether it’s your neighbor’s pool, the salty ocean to our East, or the hose in your backyard. You’ll have a great deal fewer complaints about the heat if you’re willing to get a little bit wet.
- Eat like an explorer. There’s a game I like to play where I imagine being the first person to ever bite into my favorite foods (i.e. Can you imagine having the honor of tasting a pineapple for the first time in history??). Now we millennials might not have access to new frontiers and ripe foreign fruit, but we do have some pretty nifty markets. Every time you do your grocery shopping, add something you’ve never tried before for fun way to break the banality and expand that palette.
- Trade your tv remote for a library card. I’m a firm believer that everyone is either a book lover, or hasn’t read the right book yet. Bring a book to your favorite beach, coffee spot, or park for a lazy way to be outside and love life.
- Invest in your S’s. Sunglasses, sunscreen, and sundresses. I happen to know where you can find the latter.
- Move around. Moving gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t have bad summers.
- Day Drink. You don’t need my permission, but now you have it. Break out the tumblers, yetis, and coffee mugs because the only thing better than sitting on a beach is sitting on a beach with a drink in your hand.
- Host. The best way to get all your friends together and doing fun stuff is to invite your friends together to do fun stuff. It doesn’t take a party planner to create a memorable night, most of the time you just need some fun people and cold beer (and probably some queso).
- Play the funky music. Melodies have a special way of making moments stick in our heads and hearts for a long time. Take 20 minutes to create a playlist you know will make you want to move and fill it with songs that’ll always take you back to that summer of ’16.
- Go do. When in doubt, go do. When your co-worker asks to grab a drink, go do. When you’re debating text invites from your couch, go do. Summer memories don’t happen from saying “no”. Go do.
Written by Mara Strobel-Lanka.